Switch to accessibility mode Click here for more detail about accessibility
Watch Videos of City Council Meetings
Utility Bill Pay

Code Enforcement and Community Improvement

The citizens of Claremont take a great deal of pride in the appearance and livability of their neighborhoods. To help keep Claremont a safe and attractive city, there are several local ordinances dealing with conditions that might detract from the character or our neighborhoods. Following is a list of the most common neighborhood preservation issues and a summary of applicable city codes.

The Community Improvement Program is a proactive property review program. This proactive approach was initiated as a result of citizen requests through community workshops. The goal of the program is to improve the quality of life for all residents of Claremont. The codes of the City provide for various remedies and/or procedures for correction of violations; among these are administrative abatement procedures. The Community Development Department also makes available some assistance funds for home improvement.



You may have up to three adult (4 months or older) dogs or cats in any single- or multiple-family residence. Dangerous or exotic animals are permitted only with the approval of the City and with health and inspection permits from the Inland Valley Humane Society. Dogs must be on a leash outside your fenced yard. Annual animal licensing is provided through the Inland Valley Humane Society, (909) 623-9777.

Garage/Yard Sales


Garage/yard sales are permitted for up to three consecutive days twice a year. A sign, up to four square feet in size and as high as five feet, may be posted at the sale site. Directional signs are not permitted on either public property, (i.e., trees, utility poles, utility boxes) or other private property (i.e., vehicles, a neighbor's lawn). Permits are not required for garage/yard sales.



Graffiti may be reported to the 24 hour graffiti hot line, (909) 445-7825. The parents of juvenile graffiti vandals will be held responsible and the City will seek financial restitution as well as having the vandals remove graffiti in the community.

Inoperable Vehicles


All vehicles that are not currently licensed or registered, or that lack parts necessary for legal operation, are required to be parked or stored so that the vehicles are not visible from the street or neighboring properties.



The City has established strict standards to control excessive and annoying noise. Moderate noise levels are permitted between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. Stricter noise standards are imposed for the hours between 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. Noise associated with the maintenance of property is permitted to occur only between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m., Monday - Saturday, and 9:00 a.m to 8:00 p.m. on Sunday. Noise associated with construction is only permitted between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday.

Outdoor Lighting


Outdoor light fixtures must be shielded and directed downward so that the light source is not visible from neighboring properties. Multi-directional, mercury vapor utility yard lights, sometimes called "barnlighters," are strictly prohibited. A detailed residential lighting brochure is available through the Community Development Department at City Hall.

Pool/Spa Maintenance


It is the responsibility of the homeowner to insure that swimming pools and spas are properly maintained. Pools and spas are to be kept free of algae growth and/or conditions which stimulate mosquito breeding. The San Gabriel Valley Mosquito and Vector Control District, (626) 814-9466, provides information on health issues related to mosquitoes. Fences and gates must be maintained in such a manner as to provide a secure barrier.

Property Maintenance


All residents are required to maintain their properties and structures in such a manner as to avoid creating a visual nuisance to neighboring properties. Property owners are required to provide and continually maintain landscaping of residential and commercial properties. Eyesores that exist in rear yards which are visible from adjacent properties affect property values and are as detrimental as those that exist in front yards. For example, weeds and overgrown vegetation are not only unsightly, but pose a fire hazard as well. Residents may have bulky refuse removed from the curbside in front of their property by scheduling a pick-up through the Community Services Department at (909) 399-5431.

Recreational Vehicles


Recreational vehicles such as boats, campers, trailers, and motorhomes must be parked in a garage or interior side or rear yard which is completely enclosed with a minimum five-foot high solid fence or wall. Temporary RV parking permits which are good for a maximum of 14 days per calendar year, may be obtained by calling the Community Improvement office at (909) 399-5467 or by stopping by the Community Development counter at City Hall. Permits are required for at home RV maintenance and trip preparation/return.

Residential Parking


All vehicles that are visible from the street are required to be parked on paved driveways or approved parking areas. Parking is not permitted on sidewalks or lawns, nor in areas of the front and side yards that do not have concrete, asphalt, or other approved surface. The City also enforces an overnight parking ordinance, which prohibits parking longer than one hour on any public street between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.



Temporary signs, such as political posters, garage/yard sale, "for sale" and "for lease" signs, or other similar advertisements, are allowed without a permit as long as they are placed on private property. Political posters are recommended to be no more than four square feet in size; "for sale" and "for lease" signs may not exceed six square feet; and garage/yard sale signs may not exceed four square feet. All permanent signs require either staff or Architectural Commission approval.

Ask Us

For further information or clarification on any of the City's ordinances relating to neighborhood preservation, please contact the Community Improvement office at (909) 399-5467 or visit the front counter at City Hall, Monday through Thursday between 7:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.

Click here for more detail about accessibility
© 1999-2015 City of Claremont ~ 207 Harvard Ave., Claremont, CA 91711
909-399-5460 ~ www.ci.claremont.ca.us

Website Design and Management by Highpoint Web Design, LLC