Starting a New Business

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Thank You for Considering Claremont as a Place to Do Business!

Before you begin operating your business in Claremont, there are several steps you need to follow depending on the type of business you intend to start. This guide will give you a general idea of the process and includes a list of other agencies to contact that can provide assistance to new business owners.

Step 1: Determine the Business Site Location and Obtain the Required Permits.

Selecting the right location for your business is crucial to its success. Check with our Planning Division at 909)-399-5470 to determine if the type of business you wish to operate is allowed in the desired location and what, if any, permits you will need to submit for their review:

  • Home Occupation Permit [PDF] - required for businesses conducted from a residence
  • Business Permit [PDF] - required for businesses that are conducted from a commercial location require

If your business is not permitted in the zoning district you have chosen, planners may advise you of the proper zoning district(s) for your business.

Step 2: Determine a business name.

If the name you choose for your business is anything other than your own legal surname, California State law requires you to file a fictitious name statement to ensure that the public knows with whom they are conducting business. Contact the Claremont Courier at 909-621-4761 or any local newspaper to complete this process. You must have proof of this filing when submitting your Business License Application.

Step 3: Determine whether you need a resale number.

A resale number is a requirement for any one conducting business as a seller of tangible property. A resale number can be obtained through the State Board of Equalization at 626-480-7200.

Step 4: Obtain any permits or licenses required by state or federal government for your business.

The state and federal governments have additional requirements for businesses. Certain businesses are required to obtain permits from the Department of Consumer Affairs and/or state and local environmental agencies.

Step 5: Apply for your business license.

After you have obtained the required permits and have received the Planning Division's approval for your business location, you may apply for your business permit and license

Other Agencies to Contact

Organization Contact Information
Fictitious Business Name Filing (DBA) The Claremont Courier
114 Olive St., Claremont 91711

L.A. County Clerk
12400 Imperial Hwy., Norwalk 90650
Sellers Permit/Sales Tax Number State Board of Equalization
1521 W. Cameron, West Covina 91790
State Contractors License Board 800-321-2752 
Claremont Chamber of Commerce 205 Yale Ave., Claremont 91711
Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control 
U.S. Small Business Administration 330 N. Brand #1200, Glendale 91203
State Department of Consumer Affairs 800-952-5210
Internal Revenue Service (to file for EIN) 9350 E. Flair Dr., El Monte 91731
Secretary of State
(to file for Corp., LLC, LLP, Partnership, etc.)
300 S. Spring St., Los Angeles 90013
L.A.  County District Attorney
(bad check restitution program)

L.A. County Dept. of Public Health 1435 W. Covina Pkwy. #10, West Covina 91790


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer