Filming Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

General information about the City's filming permit and procedure for obtaining one is provided below. 

Permit Fees
Fee Exemptions
  • Film Permit Application Fee:  $300.00
  • Business License Tax (filming fee):  $508.99 per day of filming
  • California Film Commission Fee: $4
  • Each amendment to the original application:  $250.00
  • Expedited Application Fee: $150.00
  • Police Services (3 hour minimum):  Billed at actual rate; call for current costs
  • Public Works/Community Services (Posting of "No Parking" signs; trash service; barricades; other services): Varies; call for current cost

All City fees will be waived for:

  • Film/filming done by charitable institutions. Verification of their nonprofit status from the Internal Revenue Service and California Franchise Tax Board must be filed with the permit application in order to qualify for the fee waiver. 
  • Student productions.  Applicant must submit a letter, written on school letterhead and signed by a school administrator or instructor, stating: the applicant is currently enrolled at the school, that the film is not for commercial release, and that the school will pay all waived fees in the event the film is used for commercial purposes. 
  • The business license fee only will be waived for productions in which all equipment and associated vehicles remain on property owned by the Claremont Colleges and where no City streets or sidewalks are used for parking or production services.

Application Requirements

 Requirement Detail
Film Permit Application

A permit application is NOT considered "submitted" until all of the applicable items below have been provided.

Property Owner's Permission

For productions that take place on property not owned or controlled by the City, applicants must obtain written permission from the property owner(s) and tenant(s) and/or enter into a lease agreement for use of the property. Copies of the permission or agreement must be provided to the City prior to the issuance of a film permit.

Neighboring Property Notification


Applicants must provide written notification to all property owners and tenants within 300 feet of the film/filming location at least ten (10) days prior to the filming date.  For productions taking place in the Village area, ALL property owners and tenants within the area must receive written notification at least fifteen (15) days prior to the shooting date.

Notification must include: date(s), times, and location of proposed filming; a description of all planned activities, and; 
proposed parking arrangements. The notification MUST indicate that the producer has applied for a film permit from the City of Claremont; there is no presumption that a film permit will be granted just because an application has been filed.

While there is no requirement that 100% of the neighboring properties or businesses must agree to the issuance of a filming permit, the City will seriously consider their concerns and make sure they are adequately addressed. Therefore, applicants are encouraged to work closely with all affected property owners and businesses to ensure their concerns are addressed. Doing so may help avoid delays or denial of a film permit application.

Parking Plan

A parking plan for all vehicles associated with the production, including equipment vans, trailers, dressing rooms, catering trucks, craft services, and personal transportation for cast and crew, must be submitted with the permit application.  Parking in the Village is severely limited; therefore, productions taking place in the Village will NOT be allowed to use or block off any on-street parking spaces -- NO EXCEPTIONS. Parking for Village productions will be limited to the east end of the Metrolink parking lot located at the southeast corner of First Street and College Avenue. Parking in "no parking" areas will only be allowed with prior clearance from the Claremont Police Department.

Set Construction and Electrical Plans 

Construction of set pieces may require the approval of the City's Building Division.  Blueprints of any proposed sets must be submitted with the permit application.  Permission to string cables across public streets and sidewalks, or from generators to service points must be obtained from the City Engineer. Site plans showing proposed cable runs must be submitted with the permit application.



Applicants shall provide the City with a Certificate of Insurance evidencing:

  • $1,000,000 worth of Public Liability Insurance, with the City of Claremont named as additional insured, and;
  • Compliance with all applicable requirements for Workers' Compensation.

Hold Harmless Agreement


Applicants shall execute a Hold Harmless Agreement and submit it with their application.

Business Tax Application

Applicants shall fill out and sign a Business Tax Application and submit it with their application.

Fire Permit

Applicants must obtain clearance and a fire permit number from the Los Angeles County Fire Department Movie Desk. The City must be notified of the permit number and the number of Fire Department safety personnel required (as determined by the L.A. County Fire Department) before a permit will be issued.

Filming at City Facilities

Certain City parks, buildings, and other facilities are available for rental as movie/still photography locations. A separate application and fee is required to obtain these facilities. For information and to obtain an application, contact the City's Human Services Department.


Film/Filming Requirements and Restrictions

Permittees shall conduct all operations in an orderly fashion with continuous attention to the safe storage of equipment not in use and the cleanup of trash and debris upon completion of shooting. To ensure proper cleanup and restoration of the site, the City may require an applicant to post a "faithful performance" bond.



Hours of Operation


All activity, including filming, set-up, or dismantling, is typically limited to between the hours of 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.  Activity outside of these hours will be considered provided there is no disruption to neighboring properties.

Traffic Flow

For film/filming that will impede traffic flow, the applicant must consult with the Claremont Police Department prior to the issuance of a permit. Street or sidewalk closures are rarely allowed. Intermittent traffic control is preferred.  Permittees must follow all police directives and take all appropriate safety precautions, including the installation of advance warning signs and any other traffic control devices in conformance with the Manual of Traffic Controls, State of California, Department of Transportation. The City's Community Services Department can provide these devices for a fee.

Police Services

Required or requested police services can be provided by the Claremont Police Department. Arrangements must be made at least 10 working days in advance. Services will be charged at the rate of $50.00 per hour with a minimum of three (3) hours. Cancellation of police services requires at least 12 hours prior notice or permittee will be assessed the full amount of the requested services.


Noise shall be maintained at a reasonable level, especially noise from electrical generators. No gunfire, explosions, sirens, public address systems, or other noise-creating devices shall be used.


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer