The City strives to improve the quality of life for all residents of Claremont, by responding to community concerns and through proactive code enforcement, abatement, and community improvement strategies. In some cases, the City's Housing Rehabilitation Program may assist homeowners with improvements that have been determined necessary for eliminating blight and correcting building and health code violations.  

A list of the most common neighborhood preservation issues and a summary of applicable city codes is provided in the table below. View the entire Municipal Code.

For more information or clarification on the City's ordinances relating to neighborhood preservation, contact the Community Improvement office.

 Topic Summary of City Codes

Abandoned Property Program

  • Code addresses properties that are vacant and financially distressed.

  • Mortgage lenders are required to inspect defaulted properties to confirm that they are occupied.

  • If a property is found to be vacant, the program requires the lender to exercise the abandonment clause within their mortgage contract, to register the property with the City, and immediately begin to secure and maintain the property to the neighborhood standard.

  • If the lender is not local, they must hire a local company to inspect the property on a weekly basis.  The property must be posted with the name and 24-hour contact number of the company responsible for the weekly inspection, maintenance and security of the property.

Download Registration Form [PDF]

  • Up to three adult (4 months or older) dogs or cats in any single or multiple-family residence are allowed.
  • Dangerous or exotic animals are permitted only with the approval of the City and with health and inspection permits from the Inland Valley Humane Society.
  • Dogs must be on a leash outside your fenced yard.
  • Annual animal licensing is provided through the Inland Valley Humane Society.

Garage & Yard Sales


    • Garage/yard sales are permitted for up to three consecutive days twice a year.

    • A sign, up to four square feet in size and as high as five feet, may be posted at the sale site.

    • Directional signs are not permitted on either public property, (i.e., trees, utility poles, utility boxes) or other private property (i.e., vehicles, a neighbor's lawn).

    • Permits are not required for garage/yard sales.



      • Graffiti may be reported to the 24-hour Graffiti Removal Hotline.

      • The parents of juvenile graffiti vandals will be held responsible, and the City will seek financial restitution as well as having the vandals remove graffiti in the community.

      Inoperable Vehicles


      • All vehicles that are not currently licensed or registered, or that lack parts necessary for legal operation, are required to be parked or stored so that the vehicles are not visible from the street or neighboring properties.



        • The City has established strict standards to control excessive and annoying noise.

        • Moderate noise levels are permitted between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m.

        • Stricter noise standards are imposed for the hours between 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.

        • Noise associated with the maintenance of property is permitted to occur only between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m., Monday - Saturday, and 9:00 a.m to 8:00 p.m. on Sunday.

        • Noise associated with construction is only permitted between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday.

        Outdoor Lighting


          • Outdoor light fixtures must be shielded and directed downward so that the light source is not visible from neighboring properties.

          • Multi-directional, mercury vapor utility yard lights (sometimes called "barnlighters") are strictly prohibited.

          • A detailed residential lighting brochure is available through the Community Development Department at City Hall.

          Pool & Spa Maintenance


            • It is the responsibility of the homeowner to ensure that swimming pools and spas are properly maintained.

            • Pools and spas are to be kept free of algae growth and/or conditions which stimulate mosquito breeding.  The San Gabriel Valley Mosquito and Vector Control District provides

              information on health issues related to mosquitoes.

            • Fences and gates must be maintained in such a manner as to provide a secure barrier.

            Property Maintenance


              • All residents are required to maintain their properties and structures in such a manner as to avoid creating a visual nuisance to neighboring properties.

              • Property owners are required to provide and continually maintain landscaping of residential and commercial properties.

              • Eyesores that exist in rear yards which are visible from adjacent properties affect property values and are as detrimental as those that exist in front yards (e.g., weeds and overgrown vegetation are not only unsightly, but are also a fire hazard).

              • Residents may have bulky refuse removed from the curbside in front of their property by scheduling a pick-up through the Community Services Department.

              Recreational Vehicle Parking


                • Recreational vehicles such as boats, campers, trailers, and motor homes must be parked in a garage or interior side or rear yard which is completely enclosed with a minimum five-foot high solid fence or wall.

                • Temporary RV parking permits—good for a maximum of 14 days per calendar year—may be obtained by calling the Community Improvement office or by stopping by the Community Development counter at City Hall.

                • Permits are required for at-home RV maintenance and trip preparation/return.

                Residential Parking


                  • All vehicles that are visible from the street are required to be parked on paved driveways or approved parking areas.

                  • Parking is not permitted on sidewalks or lawns, nor in areas of the front and side yards that do not have concrete, asphalt, or other approved surface.

                  • The City enforces an overnight parking ordinance, which prohibits parking longer than one hour on any public street between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.



                  • Temporary signs, such as political posters, garage/yard sale, "for sale" and "for lease" signs, or other similar advertisements, are allowed without a permit as long as they are placed on private property.

                  • Political posters are recommended to be no more than four square feet in size; "for sale" and "for lease" signs may not exceed six square feet.

                  • Garage/yard sale signs may not exceed four square feet. All permanent signs require either staff or Architectural Commission approval.

                  Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
                  They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

                  Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer