More »

Public Art

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

lynnbasa-claremont-redevelopment-authority-320x185Claremont has long been known as a cultural arts center for the Pomona Valley area. Through the Claremont Colleges and groups such as the Fine Arts Foundation and the Claremont Museum of Art, the City continues to provide opportunities for showcasing local talent, as well as attracting well-known national artists. These groups also ensure the involvement of the general public in planning programs for local galleries and theaters.

The City has a "percent-for-art" program which helps fund art exhibitions and a variety of cultural pursuits in public spaces. In 2014, the City adopted a Public Art Master Plan that established a policy for the selection of public art in the community.

Momentum - City of Claremont Public Art Master Plan [PDF]


May 2019 - Art in the Park Call for Artists

The City of Claremont is looking for artists to work with students to create a tile art piece for a park  bench.

Call for Artists - Due June 29, 2019.


Public Art Committee

Individuals interested in serving on this committee are encouraged to file an application with the City Clerk. Applications are kept on file and considered whenever a vacancy occurs. 


What is Public Art?

Public art is art that is placed and integrated into the public realm for the public to enjoy.

  • It consists of original works of art that may possess functional as well as aesthetic qualities.
  • Public art should provide a surprise and stimulate reactions from the public.
  • The works should be well-designed, timeless, and create unique expressions that explore the human condition or enhance our understanding of a unique place.

For more information, please contact Bevin Handel at or (909) 399-5497